Trent Park dates back to the fourteenth century when it was a part of Enfield Chase, one of Henry IV’s hunting grounds. In 1777 George III leased the site to Sir Richard Jebb, his favourite doctor, as a reward for saving the life of the King’s younger brother, the then Duke of Gloucester. Jebb chose the name Trent, because it was in Trent, Italy, that the King’s brother had been saved. Jebb subsequently acquired the freehold interest in the house and on his death it was sold to Lord Cholmondeley.
In about 1836 the house was bought by the banker David Bevan for his son Robert Cooper Lee Bevan on his marriage to Lady Agneta Yorke. Robert Bevan built Christ Church, Trent, in 1838 to provide a suitable place of worship for the district. In 1909 the estate was sold to Sir Edward Sassoon, father of Philip Sassoon (cousin of the poet Siegfried Sassoon). Sir Philip Sassoon inherited the estate in 1912 upon his father’s death and went on to entertain many notable guests at Trent Park, including Charlie Chaplin and Winston Churchill.
In 1939 Sir Philip Sassoon died and the estate became requisitioned by the government for use during the Second World War.
To find out more about Trent Park and its varied and interesting history please come to our lecture by Dr Helen Fry which follows on from our Annual General Meeting.